Frequently Asked Questions
Opportunities for Overseas Volunteer Professionals

Following are the most frequently asked questions by overseas volunteer professionals (OVP) who are desirous of coming to AKU and contributing voluntary services in areas where AKU needs more professional support.

Q. Who is an OVP?

OVPs are individuals or groups of individuals, including AKU alumni, who are academically qualified in their respective fields with required accreditation and professional qualifications from recognized institutions. They would normally be expected to have a minimum of 3 to 5 years post qualifying experience and special expertise in their professional field. However, outstanding professionals with less experience will also be considered.

Q. What is the procedure for applying as an OVP?

OVPs are required to fill the online OVP Interest Form. This information is then forwarded to the concerned Chair/Director for review. Based on recommendations received from the respective Chairs/Directors, a decision will be made on whether there is an appropriate role for the OVP at AKU.

The Human Resources Division and the concerned Chair/Director will jointly communicate to the overseas professional volunteer the nature and duration of the assignment, terms and conditions of service, etc.

If you are a resident of North America, you are requested to contact the HR representative office in North America at the following address:

Navroz Surani
Director, Human Resources -Talent Development
Aga Khan University
Suite# 786, 789 Don Mills Road, Toronto
Ontario, Canada M3C 1T5
Tel: (416) 425 8400
Cell: (416) 230 7015
Toll free: 1 888 425 8411
Fax: (416) 467 0961

Q. What logistical and other support will be provided to me?

AKU will provide logistical and other support to you while remaining within its available resources. The following facilities will be provided by AKU:

  • Accommodation and meals at the AKU Guest House or at any other suitable place
  • Conveyance from place of residence to AKU and back
  • Where applicable, insurance coverage for malpractice, as part of the Institution's overall coverage
  • Cover for minor illness (outpatient), and services of an emergency nature

Q. What medical coverage will I get?

You will be expected to arrange your own health insurance to cover for illnesses while at AKU.

Q. Will I be provided with the travel facilities?

It is expected that you will make your own travel arrangements including the cost of passage. However some assistance may be provided if required, for identified professions such as nurses, teachers or administrative professionals.

Q. Will I be eligible for any remuneration?

No! Volunteers will not be eligible for any remuneration.

Q. Who will inform me about my selection as an Overseas Volunteer Professional?

HR Division will inform you about your selection and the type of visa you have to obtain and liaise with the Safety and Security Department to obtain a work permit as per the government regulations if necessary.

In case of physicians, nurses or other medical/para medical professionals, HR Division will also inform the respective Chair/Director to arrange for required licenses to enable you to practice at AKU.

Q. Will I have to submit any report at the end of my services?

Three days before the completion of the assignment period, you will be required to submit a report to your Chair/Director stating your accomplishments, challenges, problems encountered, if any, and an overall assessment of the assignment.

Q. Upon successful completion of my services, will I be given any certificate?

On successful completion of the assignment, a certificate will be jointly issued by the Vice President, Human Resources, and concerned Chair/Director.​